The closure this month of Evans Cycles in The Cut brings to an end a 98-year link between the firm and the Waterloo neighbourhood.
A restaurant is now expected to open in the vacant premises which is close to both The Old Vic and Young Vic theatres.
F.W. Evans opened at the north end of Kennington Road in 1921 and relocated to The Cut in 1977. Waterloo remained the firm's flagship bike shop and spiritual home even as it expanded across the UK.
In 2005, an Evans bicycle purchased at the Kennington Road shop in 1929 was added to the collection of the London Transport Museum in Covent Garden.
When Evans Cycles was sold to Sport Direct founder Mike Ashley last autumn the firm had more than 60 shops. A number have since closed. The London Bridge branch continues to trade.